December 30, 2009

Top Twenty of the Decade



Everybody else is doing it, so why can't I? It's all the rage at the end of 2009, and pretty much a pointless endeavor. Most critics and people in general would have two totally different lists, with some films corresponding and some curiously absent. There are way too many good movies to choose from. My list is going to be geared towards the films that I enjoyed the most; and that I could think of sitting here at a computer with my dvd collection nowhere in sight. Not necessarily the best crafted piece of art, or the ones with the best performances, but rather a list of the ten movies I would love to watch over and over again (you'd be surprised what I force myself to sit through over and over). So here it is, my humble top twenty of the first decade of this millennia.

20a. Best In Show: For me this is Christopher Guest and his cast of regulars at their best. Practically every scene is gold and I never get tired of watching it.

20b. Shaun of The Dead: The film that introduced us to Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, and of course director Edgar Wright. I cannot wait for their next collaboration. Hot Fuzz was great as well, but I had to give the nod to Shaun for starting the love affair.

19. Stevie: Steve James gets my vote for best documentarian working today. Why? Because he is so good and just letting the story tell itself. At no time do I ever feel that James is letting his own opinion or bias get in the way. To make Hoop Dreams and Stevie in one life is an amazing feat.

18. Control: While the subject matter of this film makes it a very tough one to re-watch, I couldn't keep it out of the top 20. The performances are top-notch, and of course, Anton Corbijn's imagery is gorgeous. Even for people who have no idea who Joy Division is, it would still be an engrossing film.

17. Heist: Why do I love David Mamet so much? I have no idea, but I do. Out of all the films he has released this decade, I think Heist is the most solid throughout and the most entertaining. Gene Hackman is fantastic in this one.

16. In America: Oh my god I love that movie... That's all I really have to say.

15. Royal Tennenbaums: My favorite entry from arguably the most unique director of our generation. Wes Anderson's films defy any sort of classification and he gets at least one really stellar performance in every film.

14. Let The Right One In: Just check out my previous review of this one. THE BEST VAMPIRE MOVIE. EVER. The cover art never lies.

13. Zodiac: This one has one of the creepiest scenes I've ever witnessed, and its not even that kind of flick. I can't even think about the basement scene without squirming. David Fincher is one of my favorite directors and he was spot on with this one. Mark Ruffalo scored again as well.

12. Lost In Translation: Sofia Coppola: the master of mood. This movie reminds me of a better time, a time before Scarjo didn't know how famous she was going to be and all the annoying things she would say. Her performance is restrained, innocent and very good. Bill Murray is more than we probably ever thought he could be. It is touching, funny and sweet and still fresh every time I see it.

11. Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind: Simply put, it is the best love story of our time (sorry Twilight). Told with an artists brush and child's imagination Eternal Sunshine is just a magnificent film.

10. The Fountain: This is a controversial one, but I was really blown away by The Fountain. The story, the score, the performances, the cinematography and the pacing all just grabbed me and didn't let go. I absolutely loved it. You may hate it, but that's cool.

09. Bourne Supremacy: Oh Jason Bourne, I do hope you and Paul Greengrass will continue to kill people with books and towels in my future. These films are just so badass and Supremacy was the one that took them to the next level. Anyone who doesn't have a problem with Greengrass' shaky cam and hasn't seen United 93 yet, really should. It's pretty startling. For that matter, Bloody Sunday as well.

08. Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair: I can't really even begin to get into it. Just amazing.

07. Amelie: Has there ever been a film more cute, funny, adorable, lovable and graceful than Amelie? Nope. Why was it left off of most critics tops of the decade list? No Idea.

06. Almost Famous: "Hold me closer Tiny Daaaaancer!" "Don't take drugs!" "Hey man, I'm incendiary too." "This explains.. so much." I could go on and on.

05. El Laberinto del Fauno: Guillermo Del Toro is a genius, and Pan's Labyrinth is his best film as a whole. If you haven't seen this yet, please check it out. It is a painfully exquisite movie and is as an adult fairy tale set within post-Civil War Spain. Doesn't that sound intriguing!?

04. UP: Well, we all knew a Pixar film would make the list. My top 3 are UP, Ratatouille and Finding Nemo. A lot of people will choose Wall-E, and while I liked that one too, it didn't do it for me like these other three did. It was hard to choose, but I have to give the nod to Up for the most heart wrenching first ten minutes, Doug and for a whimsy that the other three couldn't match.

03. Punch Drunk Love: Ok ok ok, so look. Punch Drunk Love is one of the most startling, gorgeous and inventive films of the decade and possibly ever. If you don't like it, that's fine,everyone is different. Such is art. PT Anderson molds the moving image and sound (both score and dialogue) together like no one I've ever seen. I could barely catch my breath in the theatre. I gave this the nod over There Will Be Blood because I've watched it probably 6 or 7 times, and while I purchased There Will Be Blood I still haven't brought myself to watch it again.

02. Children of Men: Wow. This one hit me right in the gut. With one or two of the best scenes of all time, breathtaking cinematography, top notch acting and a post-apocalyptic story that seems frighteningly within reach Children of Men was pretty awesome.

01. Inglorious Basterds: Did I put this number one because it was the title I saw most recently? Probably, but I don't care. It is a masterpiece and it deserves to be in the running for number one of the decade. Hate him or love him, Quentin Taratino showed with Basterds that he truly is great and one of the top directors in history.


The best of the rest: I could have easily switched out any from above with any of the titles below. It was close, but in the end, I chose the films I would easily pick up off the shelf and watch again. It was hard leaving Millions down here.

Into the Wild
The Visitor
Millions
Brick
Stranger Than Fiction
A Guide To Recognizing Your Saints
The Fall
Daywatch
Shotgun Stories
Lars and the Real Girl
Me and You and Everyone We Know
The Pianist
25th Hour
Million Dollar Baby
United 93
There Will Be Blood
Wet Hot American Summer

2 comments:

  1. ))<>((

    I didn't like Inglorious Basterds very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT?!!?!?!?!? YOU DIDN'T LIKE IT?! Not even the part with the David Bowie song and Shoshanna getting ready to kick some ass? I love that movie so hard.

    ReplyDelete