December 7, 2009

Top Films I Watched In 2009






Best from 2009 I've seen so far (..but mine goes to 11..):



11. The Hangover - I haven't laughed this hard at a movie in a really long time, and that alone allows it to crack the top eleven. It has its flaws, but the highs are very much worth it. God I love Zach Galifianakis.

10. Public Enemies - In no way a perfect film, and in no way Michael Mann's best, but I love Michael Mann and I love Johnny Depp; put them together and mix in a little bad ass John Dillinger story and you have a very fun time.

09. Whip It: I really enjoyed this flick. Everyone is perfect in their roles, and you can tell they had a great time making it. It follows a formula, but then again doesn't, and it really gets you rooting for Bliss. It's funny, its touching and it's true to life.

08. Star Trek - I never liked Star Trek, but now I do. I'm pretty sure that was the intention of this re-boot of the series and it succeeded in every aspect. To be completely cheesy, this was one hell of a ride. It also did a superb job mixing in the old with the new.

07. Funny People - I don't get it, what was everyone's problem with this one? Ok, so its two and a half hours, and its not a movie about a major war...so? This is definitely a drama wrapped up in a crude comedy (but less crude then Apatow's previous outings), and it showcases what Judd Apatow could be as a director. There are some surprisingly beautiful scenes and photography. I loved it, but I'm also a sucker for dramatic Adam Sandler

06. Adventureland: Another true to life coming of age story that really nails it. A great soundtrack, a great cast (can Martin Starr do any wrong?) and Ryan Reynolds is suprisingly not annoying.

05. Coraline: The story isn't really that deep, but it doesn't have to be either. The beauty and artisty of the animation stands alone. Henry Selick delivers another gem and it makes me wonder how much he had to do with the success of The Nightmare Before Christmas (since the Burton directed Corpse Bride, which has the same imagery and story style of Nightmare, was kind of a dud).

04. Where the Wild Things Are: This was exactly what I thought it was going to be. It didn't hit me as hard as I thought it would, but it is a gorgeous piece of filmmaking. As Maurice Sendak says himself, Spike Jonze at no time underestimates children. Not all adults, and not all children will like this, but that doesn't mean it's not a perfect adaptation of the short story.

03. Drag Me To Hell: I have never been this giddy during a movie. Maybe it was just the day I went to see it, maybe it was just a perfect escape, and maybe it really is that good of a fun horror flick. I didn't like it any less the second time, and the opening scene was just as gripping. It's such a great blend of ridiculously over the top horror, humor and jump out at you scares. It made my day, and I hope it makes yours too.

02. Up: If you haven't seen this yet, what are you waiting for!?! It really was a toss up between this and my number one. It's hard to choose between two polar opposite genres (which will be interesting in this years Oscars as well). The story is so touching, the opening ten minutes is actually gut wrenching and doug is one of the greatest animated characters ever (but I'm biased because I love dogs). Go see it now!

01. Inglourious Basterds: To confirm the ponder in your last line of the film; yes this is your masterpiece Quentin Tarantino. Pulp Fiction is great, Kill Bill is great, but Inglourious Basterds is an instant classic that in my opinion surpasses both of those previous outings. There are probably three scenes in this film that would be in my top ten of all time. The acting is top notch, and Taratino's dialogue driven scenes never become too much. It's a perfect balance of period drama and action. Undoubtedly the best of the year, and I not only hope Cristoph Waltz gets best supporting actor, but it should be in the running for best picture as well. It would be pretty fun to see what QT has to say during an acceptance speech.

The Best from the past that I watched this year:

05. Lars and the Real Girl (07')
04. Katyn (07')
03. Rachel Getting Married (08')
02. Snow Angels (07')
01. Let the Right One In (08')

The rest of 2009 that Sam has kept me from watching but I'm excited to see.
The Road
An Education
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Ink

Sherlock Holmes - I actually just saw this the day after Christmas. It was good and I can't wait for the sequel, but I wasn't good enough to crack the top 11. Definitely a fun time at the movies.

Trucker
Goodbye Solo
Humpday
9
Big Fan
The Hurt Locker
Food, Inc.
(500) Days of Summer
District 9
A Serious Man
A Single Man
Invictus
Up in the Air
Me and Orson Welles



No comments:

Post a Comment