March 2, 2009

Step Brothers: 2 stars



So far, Will Ferrell and Adam McKay are one for three. The team that brings us “Step Brothers” previously brought us “Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby” and “Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy.” Personally, I didn’t find much funny about “Anchorman” and I feel the same about “Step Brothers.” Will Ferrell has dug himself into a nice comfy niche with these over the top comedies, and whether they hit or miss there will always be people who find them hilarious. Unfortunately, “Step Brothers” forgets that there is more to comedy than screaming and vulgar language. You have to actually follow through on the set up.

Brennan Huff (Will Ferrell) and Dale Doback (John C. Reilly) are forty-something unemployed men who still live with their respective single parents. The parents meet, fall in love and get married. Now these two immature men will have to learn to live with one another as well as their new mom or dad. They get into the same trouble and fights that two twelve year olds would, but since they are full grown adults the fights are much more violent and contain a few more f-words and ridiculous threats.

The set up is a great idea. What if two men who have never grown up are forced to become brothers through their parent’s marriage? Put Ferrell and Reilly in those roles and the idea sounds even better. However, “Step Brothers” decides to sidestep all of the subtleties of this seemingly hilarious situation and instead chooses to beat the viewer over the head with mean spirited exchanges and screaming. For example, take a look at the image I have posted above which was used for the film’s advertising. It's hilarious and I would like to know the story behind it. I want to see Brennan and Dale in the Olan Mills studio of Wal-Mart being corralled by their parents and arguing over the pose like other children would. I want to see their reaction to being told they have chores and I want to see them playing with other forty year old children at the park. I’m not saying that Step Brothers is utterly unfunny, because it does have a few good moments. However I don’t believe the filmmakers tapped into the setup’s full potential and the funniest parts involve the supporting cast instead of the main characters. Even then the gags can draw on a little too long.

Comedies are tough to review because everyone’s funny bone is different and objectivity can be lost. If you like the other films I mention above then I would give this one a chance as well. You might like it, but you might not. I didn’t. I’m just glad Ferrell is willing to crawl out of his niche every now and then for films such as “Stranger Than Fiction” and “Elf,” and I’ll be just as eager for his next outing as I was for “Step Brothers.”

No comments:

Post a Comment