February 26, 2009

Top Ten Worst/Most Disappointing Movies I've seen



No review today. I haven't watched a new movie recently. I'm probably not going to be able to post another one until next week with my upcoming schedule, but I'll see what I can do. Instead, I have given you a top ten list. Please comment with your choices as well since I'm sure there were some that were so bad I forgot about them. The #1 and #2 are set in stone, the rest are in no particular order. I feel this needs a little bit of clarification as sometimes a film is poorly made but still enjoyable, such as "Killer Klowns From Outer Space," and titles like those won't be found here. Also, I am a really good judge of whether or not I'll like a movie so I try not to subject myself to those (Why would you choose to go see "Battlefield Earth?"). 
Therefore, there are some movies on this list that are definitely not horrible and that you might want to check out to form your own opinion, but extremely disappointing to me. 

1. Kicking and Screaming
A Criterion Collection movie is bad? Yes. This is one of two movies on this list I couldn't finish watching. After seeing Baumbach's recent "The Squid and the Whale" I figured I would give the movie that put him on the map  a chance. The movie is so pretentious and meandering that I just didn't care after the first twenty minutes. I'm a guy who loves a good dialogue driven movie, but not when it's about a bunch of over privileged college graduates talking about utterly pointless subjects.

2. Elephant
I was extremely angry after watching Gus Van Sant's "Elephant." So angry that it is hard for me to give any of his movies since then a chance. He handles the subject matter of school shootings post Columbine with so little responsibility it's sickening. I really hope he didn't try to argue that this film doesn't glorify the students actions, because I don't see that it does much else. Not to mention the fact that he's a filmmaker who doesn't know how developing film works. The only reason this isn't number one is because I actually finished watching it. 

3. Year of the Dog
I cannot come up with one good reason why this film was made. Dogs, yay! Peter Sarsgaard, yay! I was really looking forward to it. The advertising was perfectly done and the dogs were irresistible. End result is a very creepy and disturbing portrait of a character I couldn't care less about. 

4. WalMart: The High Price of Low Cost
This is the second movie I couldn't finish. I probably stopped this one only ten minutes in as what was disguised as a documentary turned out to be propaganda from people who have an agenda against WalMart. I don't even like WalMart and I was still offended. I don't think any facts were used. The makers of this one should be ashamed. 

5. Blade: Trinity
Oh Blade, how I love thee. Blade: good entertaining movie. Blade II: great movie made by one of my favorite new filmmakers. Blade: Trinity: horrible crud. I was scared as soon as I found out David Goyer was directing this, because I knew what Guillermo Del Toro created would be lost. Casting Dominic Purcell as Dracula was a horrible idea and the use of Ryan Reynolds for comic relief just got tiring. Come to think of it, most of the casting was bad. I liked the idea of sidekicks for Blade, but the story was very weak and basically nothing worked here. Even Parker Posey was weird. 

6. John Carpenter's Vampries
Will Someone please make a good vampire movie again?! I liked the idea that vampires were created by Catholics and I liked the visuals of this movie, but everything else fell short. 

7. Dracula 2000
Please? All I'm asking for is a really solid vampire movie with good acting, good directing and good story. It doesn't have to be award winning or anything, just don't put the year it was made in the title like a beacon warning us to stay away. 

8. Semi-Pro
I was so excited about this movie when the trailer came out. Will Ferrell as an ABA owner/player? Yes please! The trailers were hilarious. Unfortunately the movie didn't make me laugh at all.  I chuckled at the same parts I laughed at in the trailer, but that's it.  Most of the trailers were actually made separate from the movie and had content not found in the film. This tells me they knew they didn't have a funny movie and had to make funny trailers to get you to see the movie. 

9. For Your Consideration
Wow. I couldn't believe it when this movie was over and  I didn't laugh out loud, once. Maybe Christopher Guest is  only allowed a certain number of great mockumentaries. Catherine O'hara is indeed fantastic and the accolades she received were deserved, however nothing around her was funny. I think where Guest went wrong is that he actually tried to make this  one a narrative, with a bit of mockumentary mixed in, instead of a true mockumentary. Just watch "Best in Show" again instead of watching this. 

10. Wonder Boys
I remember all the hype surrounding this movie when it came out. I also love most of the actors in it. I actually didn't watch this movie for a few years after it came out on DVD. I figured that way I wouldn't be swayed by all the hoopla. I definitely wasn't. I didn't find it funny or touching, as described by some critics, and I can't imagine giving it four stars. This makes the list at number 10 as a film that I know has to be a good  in some way due to all of the critical acclaim, but I just didn't get it and was severely disappointed. 

4 comments:

  1. i remember you telling me that you liked Blade Trinity, because i remember you defending that horrible interpretation of Dracula. i can't even think of a list of disappointing movies; i have blocked them out! but this is good, and definitely shows how much we have in common. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS these posters look great with the dots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Blade Trinity almost made the category of "so bad it's good," but in the end I decided that it was just bad. Probably because of the fact that I loved Blade II. The Dracula story might have been good, but the casting of dracula was definitely bad, I remember thinking that from the get-go. I don't even remember the actual story though.

    What posters? The images at the start of the posts? What dots, the dots on my background? What do you mean?

    ReplyDelete
  4. the images on your blog and the dots on your blog. jeez!

    that dracula sucked. (get it!?)

    ReplyDelete