April 21, 2009

The Spirit: 2.5 stars


**update: I originally gave this film 3 stars, but have changed it to 2.5. This isn't to say I didn't like the film or that I wouldn't watch it again, but rather conceding that it isn't the most well crafted film, and giving it 3 stars would be unfair to other films which are technically superior. 3 stars would be saying this film is close to 4, and it isn't anywhere near that. It is just an enjoyable 2.5 star film.

This is going to be a quick review because there really isn’t much thought needed for The Spirit, but that’s part of why I’m giving the film three stars. You’ll go on Rotten Tomatoes and see that it received a paltry 14%, read reviews implying that it is vacant of all emotion (which is correct) and state that it is all “style over substance,” and most likely dismiss the movie if you’re not the biggest graphic novel enthusiast. My question is are we really supposed to care?

Perhaps we are spoiled moviegoers now since we’ve had the pleasure of witnessing the rebirth of
Batman, the beauty of Sin City and the depths of Watchmen, but I’ve always thought graphic novels and comic books read exactly like The Spirit is presented. I was never an aficionado, but I’ve read a few comic books and even when at their deepest they aren’t the greatest pieces of literature out there. They are bold, beautiful and fast just like The Spirit. I still have yet to come across a review from someone who has actually read The Spirit, and I’d be interested to see if director Frank Miller stayed true to the source.

Maybe it was because I went in expecting nothing, as most of the reviews prepared me for, but I enjoyed
The Spirit and would watch it again. It is gorgeous to look at and it is all over the top fun. It’s really best not to bring any logic into this one, just sit back and enjoy the ridiculous show. What is the story you ask? No matter, that’s just the bit of glue holding together all of the cleavage, sexual innuendos, violence and flimsy hard talk dialogue, but I mean that in a good way. While film has evolved over time into a fine art form, movies were created to be an escape and that is exactly what The Spirit delivers.

1 comment:

  1. I would say 2 stars. I know next to nothing about the comic, so I'm not comparing to anything. I just thought it ended up really disjointed--the effects are cool, but it was overall pretty "blah" for me.

    ReplyDelete